FIRM, IMMOVABLE BCMG DEADLINE: Saturday, December 15th
When the clock strikes midnight on Saturday, December 15th, the membership reports for 2018 will be run. If your hours are not recorded by then, they will not be considered towards your recertification. Therefore, record your hours now! If you are having difficulty accessing the VMS, please email Lisa Nixon, membership coordinator with a list of your hours detailing the date and description and number, and she will ensure that they are recorded on your behalf.
If you have already met BCMG Re-certification Requirements for 2019 (30 volunteer hours and 6 CEUs– 3 hrs thru attendance at monthly meeting programs), you can now visit the Membership Dues page on the BCMG website and pay your 2019 Annual Membership Dues of $25, either online or by mail. NOTE: Dues must be paid by January 31, 2019.
Join Fellow MGs for Children’s Vegetable Garden Work Party at SABOT on Sat, Dec 15, 8am – Noon. Come and help put the garden to sleep. Park at the very backside of the Garden (555 Funston Pl — map here) Great opportunity if you still need volunteer hours!
RODEO 2019 Just Around the Corner (Feb 7 -24)
Mary Mangiapane is Volunteer Coordinator for all other Rodeo Volunteer Shifts : Plant Sales/MG Booth – Greeters – School Tour Docents – Adopt-a-Tree – and more!
Coming Soon: Website Rodeo-2019 page will be found under the Members tab on the home page menu bar! You’ll find all the BCMG Rodeo information and updates there.
Everyone must have a Release and Indemnification Agreement Form. Completed form is due Jan 18, must be printed out double-sided, notarized, and mailed to:
ATTN: Rodeo Form
Bexar County Master Gardeners
3355 Cherry Ridge, Ste. 208
San Antonio, TX 78230
Or, drop-off with Nick at the Extension Office front desk.
You can learn about Little Buckaroo Farms where BCMG will be located on the SA Stock Show & Rodeo website.
for CommTeam Members
A Hearty Welcome to Inez Ornelas, our new Website Content Manager and Regina Maspero, our new Facebook Group Administrator.
Many, many thanks to Lisa Nixon who established our Facebook Group in 2010 and has nurtured membership to over 1600 members! And, kudos to Lynn Cox for re-energizing our website, and continuing with Website Online Sales & Registrations, and a multitude of other BCMG efforts.
● Calendar Manager – Ann Vargas
● Facebook Group Administrator – Regina Maspero
● Leaflet Editor – weekly publication on Wednesdays – Ann Marie Pease
● MailChimp Manager – Ann Marie Pease
● Media/Public Affairs Coordinator – Liz Campanella
● Publicity Volunteer – Vicki Jamvold
● Scion Editor – first of the month publication – Marybeth Parsons
● Website Content Manager – Inez Ornelas
● Website Online Sales and Registrations – Lynn Cox
● VMS Volunteer Administrator – Vicki Jamvold
Great Gift Idea:
LAST DAY to buy some stocking stuffers and help BCMG at the same time! Birdies for Charity® 12 Days of Giving ticket campaign will close TODAY, Dec 12 and BCMG will receive $10 proceeds from each ticket sold online. when you select Bexar County Master Gardeners as beneficiary. You can get all the Valero Texas Open details here. And, BCMG will again participate in the 2019 Birdies for Charity® Fundraiser with pledge forms available in early 2019.
The Texas Search for Excellence Awards Program is sponsored by the Texas Master Gardener Association (TMGA) to recognize outstanding Master Gardener people, associations, projects and programs throughout the state. There are eight award categories: Youth, Project, Educational Program, Written Education, Research, Marva E. Beck JMG Leader of the Year, Outstanding Individual Master Gardener, Outstanding Master Gardener Association. And, there are five county size categories. The award year, 2018, accepts entries based on activities and events occurring between January 1, 2018, and December 31, 2018. Award submissions are due on, or before, 10pm on January 31, 2019.
Help with BCMG award submissions for 2018! Or, perhaps, you have a great suggestion for a category submission? Please email Grace Emery today to help in any way! You can find details on the Awards Program at the TMGA website.
Registration Now Open for the 2019 TGMA Conference which will be held April 25-27, 2019 and is being hosted by Victoria County Master Gardener Association. Leadership training will be held on April 24th. Visit the Conference website for tons of information!
The 17th biennial conference for the international master gardener community, Penn’s Woods: Digging into Our Roots, will be held June 17-21, 2019 at the Valley Forge Casino Resort, Valley Forge, PA. Online registration will open soon and you can subscribe to the IMGC newsletter for conference updates.
SIGN-UP for VOLUNTEER EVENTS using the Event Calendar in the VOLUNTEER MANAGEMENT SYSTEM – VMS. Find number of volunteers still needed, who has signed up, Project Code and even request an event reminder! REMEMBER: If you volunteer for any event and have a last minute change of plans, please contact the coordinator listed on VMS to let them know!
Tomorrow, Thu, Dec 13, and Fri, Dec 14, 9am-Noon (both days), need two volunteers to help with youth activity preparation: sitting indoors and cutting out die-cuts & placing in baggies. Email Ruby Zavala for more info. Code 980-Youth Gardens
Children’s Vegetable Garden Work Party at SABOT on Sat, Dec 15, 8am – Noon. Park at the very backside of the Garden (555 Funston Pl — map here) Great opportunity if you still need volunteer hours!
Two Volunteers to serve as Seminar Assistants helping with sign-in sheets, handouts, etc. at three Free Seminars in January. (Start times are 15 minutes before seminar begins.) Email Denise Perez if you have any questions.
- Growing A Family Home Orchard presented by David Rodriguez on Sat, Jan 12, 10:15am – Noon at Milberger’s Landscaping & Nursery, 3920 N Loop 1604 E
- Fruit Tree Basics presented by Dr. Larry Stein on Sat, Jan 19, 8:45am – Noon at Fanick’s Garden Center, 1025 Holmgreen Road
- Growing Backyard Fruit Trees presented by David Rodriguez on Sat, Jan 26, 10:30am – Noon at the Garden Center, 10682 Bandera Rd.
Help at Science Fair! Present a JMG lesson on plant parts, plant lifecycles, and what plants need to live for the 3rd-5th grade students attending the Harlandale ISD Science Fair on Fri, Feb 22 from 8am – 2:30pm held at Palo Alto College, 1400 W Villaret Blvd, 78224. Approx. 195 students will participate in 30-minute rotations in groups of 25-27 students. Email Ruby Zavala for details. 2019 Code 1200 – Youth
Take on an ongoing role and participate throughout the year as a member of the new Logistics Committee or the new Events Committee. These committees are key to our success as a Master Gardener organization. We need you! Please email Grace Emery, or call (210) 875-6919, if you are interested in playing a part in BCMG’s foundation for stability and endurance!
HELP with Youth Gardens Program: at schools and libraries to educate our local youth about gardening, insects, soil, and veggies! Two volunteers for each event to facilitate these lessons. Email Ruby Zavala for details. 2018 Code 980e – School Gardens; 2019 Code 1200 – Youth
When: School is flexible. Facilitate soil lesson from Junior Master Gardener curriculum. Email Ruby Zavala with your date preference.
Where: Tuscany Heights Elementary, 25001 Wilderness Oak, 78258
When: Fri, Jan 11, 2019 from 2-4pm
Where: BiblioTech East, 1203 N Walters St, 78202
Topic: Plants and Gardening
When: Wed, Mar 20, 2019 from 3-4pm
Where: Locke Hill Elementary, 5050 De Zavala Rd, San Antonio, TX 78249
Topic: Veggie Game
When: Wed, Apr 17, 2019 from 3-4pm
Where: Locke Hill Elementary, 5050 De Zavala Rd, 78249
Topic: Terrariums and Watercycle
Share with family & friends!Registration NOW OPEN for the Spring 2019 Children’s Vegetable Garden Program at SABOT. Program will include sixteen Saturdays from March 2nd to June 15th.
2019 BCMG VMS Codes (As of: 11/16/2018)
001 – AgriLife Extension/BCMG Presentations: These are programs that are hosted by, or presented by, Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service staff, Texas A&M System staff, retired AgriLife staff, or Bexar County Master Gardeners Speakers Bureau programs.
- Horticulture-related programs given by AgriLife Extension Service staff
- Horticulture-related programs given by Texas A&M System staff (ex. Texas A&M Forestry Service)
- Horticulture programs given by Bexar County Master Gardeners Speakers Bureau
- Programs at the Texas Master Gardener State Conference
002 – BCMG Monthly Meeting Seminars
VOLUNTEER OUTREACH CODES
100 – Community Outreach Events: The BCMG BoD and the AgriLife Horticulture Agent must approve community Outreach Events each year. The following events have been approved for 2019:
- Basil Fest
- Monarch Butterfly Festival (Zoo)
- Monarch Festival (Pearl)
- Texas Folklife Festival
- SABOT Culinary Garden Docents
200 – Cultivate!
300 – Master Gardener Hotline
400 – SA Rodeo
500 – Speakers Bureau
600 – Water Conservation Activities: These are SAWS-sponsored events or our participation has been requested:
- Cultivating Communities
- Earth Day(s)
- Festival of Flowers
- Habitat for Humanity
- Home and Garden Show (Spring/Fall)
- Spring Bloom (SAWS)
VOLUNTEER SUPPORT CODES
700 – BCMG Committees: All committee work, including, but not limited to…
- Awards Application
- BCMG Monthly Meeting set-up & tear-down
- Communications (Facebook, Leaflet, Scion, website, publicity, etc.)
- Fundraising (All fundraising activities, to include Birdies for Charities, Poinsettia Sale, merchandise sales, etc. Not included: plant sales that are part of a Community Outreach Event, such as SA Rodeo.)
- Grant Writing
- Holiday Party
- San Antonio Garden Center (Special Note: BCMG is a member of the San Antonio Garden Center, and we host one meeting a year and help with their plant sale. Use Code 700 for these two activities.)
800 – Board of Directors
- Attending the BoD Monthly Meeting
- All work associated with BoD activities (Finance, Membership, etc.)
- Texas Master Gardener Association Quarterly Meetings
900 – MG Training Class Support
1000 – Special Projects – AgriLife/BCMG Approved (None at this time)
1100 – Texas A&M Extension Support – Adult
- Assisting Extension staff with presentations
- Assisting with plant trials, seed extraction, etc.
1200 – Texas A&M Extension Support – Youth
- Children’s Vegetable Garden Program (SABOT & PHP)
- Approved Classroom Garden Program – support
- Approved youth activities and presentations
- Youth activity supply preparation
- Learn Grow Eat & Go! Program support
- Youth Garden Educator and JMG Training support
See all the Details for Classes in the Bexar County area on the MG Calendar! Classes listed below may be of special interest to you:
BCMG January Rodeo Kick-Off Speaker & Meeting: Plan to join us and bring your favorite Chili or Cornbread to share while we hear a special Rodeo presentation on Thu, Jan 17, from 6-8pm at 3355 Cherry Ridge, Suite 208, 78230. Bring you calendar and sign up for Rodeo Shifts. 1 CEU; 2019 Code: 002.
Get Out Your Calendar for Three Free Seminars in January:
- Growing A Family Home Orchard presented by David Rodriguez on Sat, Jan 12, 10:30am – Noon at Milberger’s Landscaping & Nursery, 3920 N Loop 1604 E.
- Fruit Tree Basics presented by Dr. Larry Stein on Sat, Jan 19, 9am – Noon at Fanick’s Garden Center, 1025 Holmgreen Road.
- Growing Backyard Fruit Trees presented by David Rodriguez on Sat, Jan 26, 10:45am – Noon at The Garden Center, 10682 Bandera Rd.
JUST ANNOUNCED!! BCMGs earn 3 CEUs, Code 001.
Learn from Master Gardeners at these 2019 Speakers Bureau Presentations:
- Growing Herbs with Don Crites, hosted by San Antonio OASIS at 2201 St. Cloud, 78228 on Wed, Feb 13, 10:30am – Noon. 1.5 CEUs, Code: 001
- Xeriscaping with Oliver Smith, hosted by San Antonio OASIS, at 2201 St. Cloud, 78228 on Tue, Apr 16, from 10:30am – Noon. 1.5 CEUs, Code: 001
BE SURE TO MARK YOUR 2019 CALENDAR FOR THESE GREAT CLASSES!
And remember, you can find all the TEXAS MASTER GARDENER ADVANCED (formerly Specialist) COURSES offered at the TMGA website. If you are interested in attending any courses, please email David Rodriguez, Extension Agent-Horticulture, Bexar County. BCMG CEU Code: 001.
Home Fruit (South Texas) – Feb. 7-8, 2019, hosted by Gonzales County, Gonzales
Vegetables – Feb. 13-15, 2019, hosted by Dallas County, Dallas
Tree Care – Mar. 13-15, 2019, hosted by Dallas County, Dallas
Tree Care – Jun. 12-14, 2019, hosted by Kerr County, Kerrville
Save the Dates (More Info Coming Soon):
Turfgrass – Mar. 14-15, 2019, hosted by Montgomery County, Conroe
Earth-Kind® – May 16-18, 2019, hosted by Henderson County, Athens
Vegetables – Aug. 13-15, 2019, hosted by Bexar County, San Antonio
Great Gardening Events on the BCMG December & January Calendars. Bookmark the Calendar and visit it frequently! Here is a sample of what is coming up over the next week:
- Now thru Dec 31 – SABOT Holidays in Bloom
- Dec 22 – Milkweed and Monarchs
- Jan 22 – NPSOT-SA Grant Projects Celebrated!
GVST Gardening Essentials: Mon, Dec 17, Noon-3pm at San Antonio Garden Center, 3310 N. New Braunfels, 78209; two free presentations. A South Texas Garden transformation using techniques and planting tips cultivated from GVST classes, with Kitty Hommer. And, learn to create an energy efficient home or business with strategic planting with William Davis and Samantha Perez from CPS Energy.
Looking for a good Christmas gift for a Master Gardener (or yourself)? Texas AgriLife Extension Service is offering the Texas Master Gardener license plate, available for $30 annually in addition to your vehicle registration fee. Personalization is an additional $40. Of the $30 plate fee, $22 is returned to the Texas Master Gardener Program for scholarships and associated activities. Order from the TxDMV online, by fax or by mail.
For SAWS customers, WaterSaver Rewards program for 2018 is ending, BUT will be back for 2019 with no re-registration. Keep using your same rewards number next year at the events you attend and your points start as “0” on Jan 1.